Transforming school systems to improve student outcomes is at the heart of E3 Alliance work. In fall 2021, E3 staff began working with school leaders at Jose Borrego Middle School, Monte Alto ISD, in the southernmost region of Texas as part of the TEA Effective Schools Framework (ESF) Focused Support Grant.
Struggling with the ongoing challenges of the pandemic and state testing preparations, teachers and staff experienced low morale and significant learning gaps with their students. Administration recognized the tremendous need to strengthen leadership systems and instruction, using data to drive action.
Now in year two of a three-year professional development commitment, the Jose Borrego team sees the success of their systems transformation.
In 2022, TEA awarded the campus six out of seven distinctions: Academic Achievement in Math, Science, and Social Studies, plus Top 25 Percent Comparative Academic Growth and Closing the Gap. They moved from a “D” accountability rating in 2019 to the most recent “B” rating. (It is important to note that due to the impact of COVID-19, all districts and schools received a label of “Not Rated” for their 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 accountability ratings.)
How did they achieve these top-ranking outcomes? Campus administration collaborated with E3 experts to:
- Create a Campus Instructional Playbook to structure instruction
- Learn new protocols and processes for improving the quality of instruction
- Develop a walkthrough system to monitor and support instruction
- Build a collaborative learning environment for staff
- Build instructional capacity across all grade levels
- Protect staff time that strengthens their professional learning community allowing leaders to spearhead professional learning and data talks that refine instructional practices
- Train teachers for leadership roles for the benefits of an expanded campus leadership team
- Develop, accept, and implement a plan to sustain the changes created
- Evaluate to improve upon systems and plan for upcoming school year
Jose Borrego Middle School is a shining example of what can be achieved when dedicated educators come together to make a real difference in the lives of their students.